Christmas Hazards

How to keep your pets happy and safe over the Christmas season

The upcoming festive season is a special time of year for you and your family and your pets to celebrate and enjoy spending time together.

There are a few things to watch out for, for your pets to ensure they remain happy this Christmas.

  • Chocolate is harmful to dogs and cats as it contains the chemical ‘theobromine’ .Even small amounts of chocolate can cause your dog to become poorly.Make sure that any chocolate are kept out of your pets reach, as the temptation may be too great for some!
  • Grapes and their dried products eg. raisins are also harmful to dogs, ingestion of just one could make your dog unwell. Remember to keep festive food items such Christmas pudding and mince pies well out of reach.
  • Christmas dinner leftovers – gravy and stuffing often contains onions which could make your dog poorly.
  • Some sweets contain a sweetener called ‘xylitol’ which is harmful to dogs, causing low blood sugar and will sometimes give them an upset tummy.
  • Pine needles from a Christmas tree can hurt their tummy’s.
  • Plants such as Holly, Ivy, Mistletoe, Poinsettia, can give your pet a tummy upset so make sure the Christmas plants are kept out of your pets reach.
  • It’s not good for your pet to eat Christmas decorations or wrapping paper these, even if they love to run about they can cause staining of fur around the mouth, and may cause a tummy upset.

Have a very merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from all at Drove Veterinary Hospital.



  • Share this on: